After years of rivalry and lack of diplomatic relations,
Saudi Arabia and Iran are slowly moving toward mending ties thanks to at least
three rounds of behind closed doors talks mediated and hosted by the government
of Iraqi Prime Minister Mustaf al-Kadhimi.
He arrived in Tehran on Sunday as
the first foreign high-ranking official to visit Iran since the new Iranian President,
Ayatollah Seyed Ebrahim Raisi, took office in early August.
Al-Kadhimi had many issues on his agenda during his meetings
with Iranian officials, including Ayatollah Raisi and Secretary of Iran’s
Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani. These issues included visa
abolition for Iranian citizens, completion of a joint railway project,
increasing the level of trade between Iran and Iraq, withdrawal of US forces
from Iraq, and the presence of anti-revolutionary dissident groups in Iraqi
Kurdistan.
During a joint press conference, Ayatollah Raisi and
al-Kadhimi stressed the importance of deepening the Iran-Iraq relations at all
levels. “The deep bonds between Tehran and Baghdad stems from the beliefs and
hearts of two nations, two countries and two governments,” Ayatollah Raisi
said. “Despite the wishes of the enemies, the level of relations between Iran
and Iraq will develop day by day.”
In addition to bilateral issues, the Iraqi Prime Minister
also discussed regional issues. Arab media outlets reported that during his
visit to Tehran, al-Kadhimi would pursue a mediation between Tehran and Riyadh
among other issues. Informed sources revealed to Al-Araby Al-Jadeed that
al-Kadhimi planned to discuss with Iranian officials four important issues
during the visit, which are the Iraqi elections issue, the energy issue, and
the mediation between Iran and Saudi Arabia, as well as other mediation between
Tehran and Washington.
Regarding the mediation between Tehran and Riyadh, these
sources told Al-Araby Al-Jadeed that al-Kadhimi will bring with him new
proposals to push this mediation forward and achieve practical results for it
in light of the failure that accompanied the Baghdad conference recently to
persuade the leaders of the two countries to participate in the conference on
the one hand, and hold a meeting between the foreign ministers of Iran and
Saudi Arabia on the sidelines of the conference on the other hand.
The sources indicated that Baghdad is seeking to hold a
meeting between the foreign ministers of the two countries during the next
stage. Saudi side had suggested that Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir
Abdollahian visit Saudi Arabia. Iranian refused and suggested Saudi Foreign
Minister Faisal bin Farhan visit Tehran.
The sources added that the Iranian foreign minister had held
detailed talks with Kuwaiti Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah Khaled al-Hamad
al-Sabah on the sidelines of the Baghdad conference, and the Kuwaiti official
also held a similar meeting with the Saudi foreign minister, and exchanged
messages between the two sides.
“These multilateral contacts created a comfortable
atmosphere for a meeting at the level of the foreign ministers of Iran and
Saudi Arabia,” the sources noted.
Tehran and Riyadh have been involved in security oriented
talks in Baghdad ever since April when Tehran also resumed talks with major
world powers over reviving a 2015 nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint
Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
Before al-Kadhimi’s visit, Iranian Ambassador to Iraq Iraj
Masjedi, who has been involved in the Iran-Saudi talks, announced that they
would resume soon. “So far, we have had three rounds of talks with the Saudi
side, and the fourth round will be held following the formation of the new
Iranian government,” he said at an event in Baghdad held on the sidelines of
the August Baghdad summit.
Underlining that Iran is a large and civilized country and
is ready for any kind of dialogue with other countries, including Saudi Arabia,
Masjedi said, “Iran has declared its readiness for dialogue and peace and has
extended its hand to help neighboring countries and the region.”
During the past three rounds, the Saudis have been
cautiously treating the talks with Iran as “exploratory.” They brought up the
issue of Yemen at an early stage, possibly to gauge the seriousness of Iran in
the talks. Yemen is the most important point of contention, which explains why
Tehran and Riyadh have agreed to form an Iranian-Saudi-Iraqi “thinking cell” to
exchange ideas and opinions to set broad lines for resolving the Yemeni crisis,
according to the Lebanese newspaper Al-Akhbar.
Citing diplomatic sources, the newspaper said that the
Baghdad talks between Tehran and Riyadh are up and running. The sources
confirmed to Al-Akhbar that the Iraqi capital will witness “soon” the fourth
round of Iranian-Saudi talks after they were postponed due to the Hajj season
and the Iranian presidential elections.
The sources confirmed that the previous three rounds of
dialogue led to “results that will appear soon” through the reopening of each
country's consulates in the other country, paving the way for the resumption of
diplomatic relations between them.
The sources also stressed that the Baghdad dialogue
approaches the contentious issues between the two countries and sets the
general contexts for implementing some measures in a way that helps bridge
views, and works to bring about de-escalation between the two parties, which
resulted in the “Oman dialogue.”
According to Al-Akhbar, the Oman talks deal with technical
issues and procedural details. It also serves as a platform for the exchange of
“security information” in the context of confidence-building measures.